Positive practice environments (PPE) are cost-effective health care settings that support excellence and decent work, have the power to attract and retain staff and to improve patient satisfaction, safety and outcomes. Characteristically such settings:
- ensure the health, safety and well-being of staff;
- support quality patient care;
- improve the motivation, productivity and performance of individuals and organisations.
WHPA urges all health sector actors – health care professionals, managers, patients, policy makers, and community leaders – to join in commitment and action to create quality workplaces for quality care. Individuals can make a difference locally and together create positive change for regional and international policy and practices.
How you can contribute
- Take a look at the health care work environment. Using the PPE checklist, understand the strengths and weaknesses of the workplace, its organizational climate and work environment.
- Make the case for healthy, supportive work environments, through evidence of their positive impact on staff recruitment/retention, patient outcomes and health sector performance. Present it, publish it and talk about it to everyone.
- Provide more evidence on PPEs. Consider a catalogue of good practices in human resources management, occupational health and safety, professional development, etc.
- Drive a sustained trend in establishing and applying the principles of positive practice environments across your health facility and national health sector, establishing positive models and introducing supportive policies.
- Join with others, raising awareness and building alliances to make a change, make a difference.
- Celebrate success in support of effective strategies that promote sustainable health systems.
- Sign on to the checklist for a positive practice environment in your setting, community, country.
Checklist for a positive practice environment
- Recognise health care professional competencies
- Promote professional autonomy and control
- Reward contribution & performance
- Measure employee satisfaction and act on outcomes.
- Commit to equal opportunity & fair treatment
- Provide adequate and timely compensation
- Maintain effective performance management systems
- Offer decent and flexible benefit packages
- Involve employees in planning and decision making
- Encourage open communication and team work
- Foster a culture of mutual trust, fairness and respect
- Adopt policies to positively encourage reporting of professional misconduct
- Provide clear, comprehensive job descriptions
- Ensure effective grievance procedures are in place
- Invest sufficiently in health and work environments
- Foster strong employment relationships
- Apply regulatory frameworks for safe workplaces
- Provide adequate equipment, supplies & support staff
- Engage employees in continuous assessment
- Promote healthy work-life balance
- Offer employment security and work predictability
- Ensure practice under an overarching code of ethics
- Communicate and uphold standards of practice
- Review scopes of practice and competencies
- Support opportunities for professional development
- Offer thorough orientation programmes
- Foster effective supervisory/mentoring/coaching
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Adhere to safe staffing levels
- Adopt occupational safety and wellness policies